Saturday, October 23, 2010

ARTISANAL LA OPENS!



I've been waiting, quite excitedly, for this weekend for months.  The inaugural Artisanal LA opens this weekend, Saturday and Sunday, at the Cooper Building in downtown Los Angeles.

"...75 local, handmade and artisanal vendors."

Randy and I are supporters of local businesses and this event makes our shopping so much easier.  I cannot wait to meet the participating vendors and make their products part of our lives.  I also plan on doing some shopping for upcoming birthdays and Christmas.  I am planning to make my own apple butter and chutneys this season, but I think there will be plenty of room in my holiday gift baskets for some of the gems I find at Artisanal LA

I spent some time going through the vendor list and researching the participants, so I have a loosely designed plan for the day.  Some of the vendors I'm most interested in meeting:




The Welsh Baker
"Not quite a cookie, not quite a scone. Delicious with milk, coffee, tea or alone."  Maker of a lovely Welsh baked good that is not too sweet, 100 calories each, and made from all natural ingredients.  I'll take a dozen!

Cake Monkey Bakery
Bakers of my new favorite treat pop pies, their version of the pop tart (something I actually never ate in my life!). Also, looking forward to sampling their new Banana Cream Cakewich.

Plush Puffs Gourmet Marshmallows
Let me just say, toasty coconut and caramel swirl.

Backwards Beekeepers
"Let the bees be bees!"  Amazing group of local beekeepers, who rely on natural practices rather than pesticides and chemicals to keep their bees thriving.  C
an honey get any better?

Chicks with Knives Perishable Pickle Shop
Bacon jam.  Yeah.

Lindy & Grundy
Their new butcher shop will be opening on Fairfax in December and their use of locally produced, sustainable meat will keep me a very loyal customer.  They worked apprenticeships at Hudson Valley's Fleisher's Grass-Fed and Organic Meats and now they are here.  Here in the Fairfax District.  Hooray!

More to tell when I return.  Must eat and shop now!

Artisanal LA
October 23-24, 2010
11A-6P

Cooper Building
860 S. Los Angeles Street
Follow on Twitter @artisanalla

$15 at the door.
Portion of proceeds benefit a number of local charities including Los Angeles Regional Food Bank and LAUSD Edible School Garden Programs.
































No comments:

Post a Comment